At WanaExcel, we believe that children learn best when they are happy, supported and functioning in a safe, secure and warm environment. We also believe that nature is the best teacher and the well-thought-out educational environment we provide creates many opportunities for children to:
- Focus on and develop cognitive and fine motor skills through exposure to stimulating activities
- Develop basic concepts of communication and social interactions with all age groups given the open plan environment
- Discover different sounds, textures and images through first experiences of self-expression
- Engage in daily activities to build confidence, self-esteem and a love of learning through dramatic play, creative arts, language and sensory exploration sounds, textures and images through first experiences of self-expression
- Be happy, healthy, nurtured and safe within our environment
When given opportunities for freedom of choice wherever practical/possible, children will develop self-discipline, independence and be highly motivated learners.
Children’s individuality should be noticed, recognised and responded to appropriately to promote responsive, relevant learning and allow the concept of independent learning to develop.
We will create and continue to refine a diverse educational culture that provides a flexible, positive environment and caters to and nurtures all individual needs, cultures and learning styles. This will encourage all children to challenge and extend their knowledge through wide and varied opportunities to prepare them for life experiences.
Co-operation and compromise becomes a component of social learning as children engage in different experiences. It is important for whanau to feel empowered as partners in the Centre environment.
It is our responsibility to advocate for children through meaningful interactions, sound decision making and effective planning. We strive to understand and uphold the true unique heritage of Maori culture and this is evident in our teaching-learning practice and throughout daily interactions to promote bicultural development.
It is important that we provide quality transitions between home, WanaExcel and beyond for our children by providing opportunities to develop skills, knowledge, dispositions and confidence to conquer their next learning journey.